Friday, June 30, 2017

Au Service de la France

Last night I started watching a French television series on Netflix. The English title is A Very Secret Service, but the French title is Au Service de la France.

It's set in 1960 and has a mixed feeling of being a spy spoof, which it very openly is, and a comedic alternative to Mad Men. I enjoyed the pilot. It had a very dry sense of humor carried off well by the sincerity of the cast, none of whom I recognized. The episodes are short (half hour), so I think it will make a great end of the day program to make sure I hear some French before I fall asleep each night.

The hero is introduced in his underpants, strapped to a chair in an interrogation room. After being drilled on some patriotic points, he is informed that he's been selected to be a secret agent. He's told his first day of work will be a test, though it mostly consisted of being admonished for his cheap suit and for answering a ringing phone that everyone else usually ignores. Mocking the mundane is right up my alley, so I'm excited to keep watching this one.

IMDB says there are 24 episodes, though I'm not sure how many are on Netflix. I'll find out.



No comments:

Post a Comment