Friday, July 07, 2017

French reads

Ooh la la! Anyone else notice that when you request books from the library, they all arrive at the same time?

I just got My Life in France by Julia Child and Bright Lights Paris by Angie Niles at the same time, and I can't wait to dive into both of them.

I feel like using the library, while very New York, is also slightly French. I don't know if libraries are used extensively in France, but there's something tactile and ancient about holding real books in your hands and using a system that moves those books all across a city to be shared with other human being day in and day out. The physicality or it, the interaction, having to go to a brick and mortar location to pick up a good. It seems oh so European to me.

I'm not anti-e-reader by any means. I have a Kindle, but there's something magical about holding a hardcover book in your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment